The 2017/18 Season marks SAL’s 30th Anniversary, and the programming has featured some familiar faces from the first 30 years, as well as a look-ahead to the literary luminaries of the coming decades.
We’re thrilled to announce select speakers in our 2018/19 Season, with more speakers to be revealed in the coming weeks.
- No handling fees.
- Priority seating for Grand Patron and Patron subscribers.
- Subscriber-only pre-sales for added events.
- Literary Arts Series subscribers (except Student/Under 25) will get a copy of Doris Kearns Goodwin’s new book, Leadership in Turbulent Times, and Barbara Kingsolver’s new book, Unsheltered.
- Poetry Series subscribers (except Student/Under 25) will get a copy of Alice Walker’s new collection, Taking the Arrow Out of the Heart, and Ilya Kaminsky’s new collection, Deaf Republic.
- WYNK Series subscribers (except Student/Under 25) will get a copy of the new Jill Lepore book, These Truths: A History of the United States.
- Journalism Series subscribers (except Student/Under 25) will get a copy of Van Jones’s book, Beyond the Messy Truth: How We Came Apart, How We Come Together.
- Dining deals at partner restaurants.
- 10% partner bookstore discounts at the following:
- Ada’s Technical Books
- BookTree Kirkland
- Edmonds Bookshop
- Elliott Bay Book Company
- Island Books
- Magnolia’s Bookstore
- Open Books: A Poem Emporium
- Phinney Books
- Queen Anne Book Company
- Secret Garden Bookstore
- Third Place Books: Forest Park
- Third Place Books Ravenna
- Third Place Books Seward Park
- University Bookstore
Dining deals for subscribers generously provided by the following:
- The Capital Grille: complimentary dessert when dining in the restaurant before or after SAL events.
- Collections Cafe: (Chihuly Garden and Glass) 10% off of bill
- Davids & Co: (in The Boeing Company Gallery in Benaroya Hall) 10% off of bill
- Goldfinch Tavern (in Four Seasons Hotel Seattle): One complimentary appetizer with the purchase of dinner in Goldfinch Tavern Restaurant during the 2017/18 Season.
- Loulay Kitchen & Bar: 10% off bill
- McMenamins, Queen Anne: 10% of bill
In the event of unforeseen circumstances, alternate speakers and lecture dates may be presented. All tickets and subscriptions are nonrefundable. Seating is not guaranteed after events begin.
All SAL Pass
One price delivers an entire season of all SAL’s events.
Create Your Own
Choose any 4 events to create your perfect season. Create-Your-Own subscriptions will go on sale June 18, 2018.
The Literary Arts Series presents talks and conversations with the leading fiction and non-fiction writers of our time. We're thrilled to announce the following events in our 2018/19 Literary Arts Series, launching October 1, 2018. Two more speakers will be announced soon!
The Poetry Series presents established and emerging poets for readings and lectures. Subscriptions for SAL's 2018/19 Season will go on sale May 21.
October 9, 2017 7:30 pm
November 13, 2017 7:30 pm
February 7, 2018 7:30 pm
March 4, 2018 7:30 pm
April 27, 2018 7:30 pm
May 21, 2018 7:30 pm
SAL's new 2018/19 Journalism Series (name TBD) is created in partnership with National Book Award-winning writer and correspondent Tim Egan, and renowned journalist Sam Howe Verhovek. Created by journalists for journalists and protectors of free press, this three-part series will feature Dean Baquet & Marty Baron, Van Jones, and one more event to be announced.
Women You Need to Know (WYNK) is a three-part series that features and celebrates women authors, artists, icons, trouble-makers, and visionaries. WYNK subscriptions to our 2018/19 Season are on sale now, with two more speakers to be announced!
October 12, 2018 7:30 pm
Although there is no formal series for SAL Presents events, most are available for selection in our four-part Create Your Own Series subscription. An All SAL Pass subscription includes every event in our season. For more details, scroll to the top of this page and click on the button under “Create Your Own” or “All SAL Pass.”
November 5, 2017 7:30 pm
November 14, 2017 7:30 pm
December 6, 2017 7:30 pm
March 5, 2018 7:30 pm
April 13, 2018 7:30 pm
April 20, 2018 8:00 pm
April 24, 2018 7:30 pm
May 4, 2018 7:30 pm
May 23, 2018 7:30 pm
Although there is no formal series for Hinge events, most are available for selection in our four-part Create Your Own Series subscription. An All SAL Pass subscription includes every event in our season. For more details, scroll to the top of this page and click on the button under “Create Your Own” or “All SAL Pass.”
November 30, 2017 7:30 pm